When last we left off, I started by trying to turn this oppressive black mass of electronics:
My first step, a total failure, was an attempt to move the cable modem to a spot enclosed under the window sill. This would have removed the modem and one heavy cable, a phone line and a plug from behind the console. Several hours later, after discovering some sort of wall-within-a-wall in the corner where I wanted to hide the modem, it became obvious there was no moving the cable, as discussed in an earlier post. (Keep scrolling down to read about my previous effort.
The next week, after buying and returning one kit to mount the TV on the wall, I set out with my partner in crime to elevate the TV, rid ourselves of the black plastic stand it lived on and create a little free space atop my blue lacquer console. The very nice lady here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly4yIW1gfts
said in the four-minute demonstration video that the job would be done in less than 30 minutes. HA! It took us (me with my big, strong male helper James aka Jim, aka Doc) something in excess of six hours, but we were happy with the result. You can see the results here:
But see that big heap of stereo receiver, DVD player, cable box and modem still piled up? That, my friends, is what this week’s adventure was all about. It all started here, with a tidy little post about hiding your cable box in a console on my favorite blog, www.younghouselove.com:
You can use one of these babies:
to do the deed. So long as the cable is compatible with your cable box (which I didn’t realize it had to be until my gal pal CHLOE pointed it out, but I got lucky and ordered the right one on my first try) you can just plug that puppy into your cable box, hide the cable box anywhere you like, run the VERY THIN cord from the box to somewhere near your TV and voila! Point the remote at a little half dome smaller than a walnut and you control the TV from something WAY less obtrusive that that big ugly box. So I ordered the eye ($16 plus shipping) and we were off. Or so I thought.
From my fine friends at www.younghouselove.com I figured I was looking at something like this, using a 1 1/8 inch paddle bit on my drill:
An engineering friend suggested taping off the area with duct table to prevent the lacquer finish from splintering around the holes, and also going slowly to let the drill warm and soften the lacquer before actually cutting. All fine well and good. Soon we had this:
And the cable box and the modem were in the drawer, and the remote controls worked with the eye and then … WHA, Wha, wah …. The drawer wouldn’t shut. It would ALMOST shut, but not completely. So we took it off the rails and took it out and discovered a bunch of saw dust had accumulated in the bottom of the console inside the back of it and behind the back of the drawer. GREAT! We thought when we saw it. Remove drawer, vacuum up sawdust, reassemble drawer, re-run cords, and … WHa, Wha, wah!!!! The DRAWER, still wouldn’t CLOSE. Harumph! We removed the boxes and the wires. We removed the drawer AGAIN. It seems like it wasn’t quite square in the back and indeed, we discovered this crack that kept the back of the drawer from sitting completely at a square angle:
Now to be fair, this drawer had always given me a bit of trouble. I remembered when I assembled it from CB2 that it was just a hair wonky, and that when I pushed it closed I always had to push from the right side, rather than the middle or the left to make it click into place, but by this time we were nowhere near that. The drawer would stop a good quarter inch before it was flush with the front of the console and even then it wouldn’t stay. It would drift open in an EXCEDINGLY irritating way. We tried loading the drawer with books that use to be stored there, thinking the weight might help. No dice. We tried to plane the drawer down. No dice. We tried removing everything from the drawer. It closed. WTF?!?!?!.
Finally, my partner in crime James figured maybe the seven wires and cords and cables weren’t flowing smoothly in and out of the back of the drawer and the back of the console, but rather were getting kinked up as we closed the drawer and sticking between the back of the drawer and the back of the console and preventing the drawer from fully closing.
Enter my super, Ozzie. We traded six homemade chocolate chip cookies for 15 minutes with Ozzie’s jig saw. I own a lot of tools, but there isn’t room for everything. I’m guessing Ozzie wouldn’t lend tools to just anyone, but he knows I’m pretty handy in with the DIY department, plus I had a big guy here helping me, which always seems to make other big guys more comfortable lending their tools.
So our neat holes for wires and ventilation when from this:
And it worked. Mostly. The drawer once again closes if you tap it shut from the right. The cable box and modem are hidden, and the electronic eye receives the signal from the remote perfectly. Of course I was so darned wound up after this 6 or 7 hour debacle (that involved getting beer at about hour 4, or I would really have lost it) that I couldn’t possibly sleep. I put the living room back together. I vacuumed. I dusted. I reran transparent speaker wire to replace black wire. I even grabbed a white conduit for the speaker wire to run it from the shelves down the corner unobtrusively.
So here’s the before and after:
And then I went to bed. Still couldn’t sleep, so I got up and re-arranged some knick-knacks. But that’s a tale for another post.